Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Season

This holiday season, for some interesting life turn, doesn't seem quite real to me. At the end of the day, it's almost Friday, December 24 (in three minutes to be exact) and it really feels just like a regular week. Everybody told me that I would feel the Christmas atmosphere much more once back in Europe, but to be honest, between the very busy season at work, health issues, high stress, visitors, wedding news, and running around all the time, my mind has just been too engaged elsewhere to really think about it.

When I was in the Bay Area, after the big rush of the summer and early fall, December used to be quite calm at work and in my surroundings, so I would just take my time to decorate my apartment, plan holiday parties, fundraisers, take a whole day for myself and do my Christmas shopping for everyone, send out cards, drink pumpkin spice lattes...This time around, I have visited the Christmas markets, celebrated with friends, and I am here with my family, which I am extremely grateful for, but this incredible sequence of events happened so fast that I didn't really have time to realize that, indeed, it's my most favorite time of the year!

If I look back at the past few months, my life has undergone dramatic changes: six months ago, I was living in the USA, single, with a good grasp of life in that country, lots of friends, lots of activities, making rational, brain-driven decisions. Six months later, I am living in Switzerland, just learning how things work in this country, no knowledge of the local language, meeting old and new friends, trying to figure out my place and recreate a community life here, and making instinctive, heart-driven decisions. Most importantly, for the first time in many years, I am listening to my heart in a way I thought I had forgotten, and it feels wonderful.

Next year many challenges lie ahead, but I am really excited about all the things that await me: after a much-needed vacation, I have a new life to build up. My word for 2011 is going to be "German". Until then, I leave everyone with my best wishes for a warm, love-filled holiday season, and a picture of good things. Perhaps they don't have pumpkin spice latte over here, but definitely gluehwein is quite up there on top of my wishlist!

With love.

Swarovski Tree and Gluehwein

No comments: