Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Highs and Lows

In the past couple of weeks, I've had moments of genuine happiness, followed by moments of sadness, and then back again to happiness, in an emotional roller coaster. Now I am slowly starting to see the light, but below are my top five highs and top five lows about being in Zurich.

The Highs:
  1. I signed up for a wonderful gym with a rooftop terrace, and when I go practice in the evening, I can see the sunset sliding over the old downtown buildings and the lake.
  2. I met a few people who love to cook, so we talk about food daily, and we exchange recipes and tips about where to buy good produce and groceries all the time.
  3. I am positively challenged at work, everyday.
  4. Many friends I haven't talked to or seen in a long time are reconnecting with me, and we make time for each other.
  5. If my family needs me, I am here, a short train ride or flight away.
The Lows:
  1. I wish I spoke German, so I could listen to the random conversations of people on the bus.
  2. Even though I am surrounded by people and go all over the place, I feel lonely at times.
  3. I really miss my life in California.
  4. I constantly worry about not doing enough and potentially disappointing people, although I try hard to be the best I can everyday. Maybe I am too harsh on myself.
  5. Sometimes I strongly feel pressured to do what I "must", and not really what I "want".
I am a big girl with thick skin and an optimistic temperament, so I will be fine. Just wanted to write down on my keyboard what's been laying in some corner of my mind.

No comments: